Friday, December 19, 2008

How the cookie crumbles

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

He knows the plans He has for us...funny...I never would have thought that for Christmas 2008 I would be in China making Christmas cookies with Chinese friends. He knew what He was doing though. I have to hand it to Him. He keeps coming up with better and better things to add to my life.

Many of you know that I love to make Christmas cookies. I must, otherwise I wouldn't enter into the adventure of having Special Needs children make cookies for 4 weeks straight! That is what I would do at this time of the year with my OT friend, Jenny, with our high school students. This year, I got to teach some wonderful Chinese ladies how to do the same thing.


Shelby, Christina, Sara, Pam and I

The Chinese don't eat things really sweet but we found a few different ones that they really liked. The most fun was making cut out cookies. I was able to share my Aunt Julia's recipe with them. This is a recipe that has been handed down now in my family for 4 generations!

Sara is now a professional dough roller
Jenny, I found us another recruit for rolling out dough next year! Sara did an awesome job. Sara wants to know when we are going to open a bakery! Hmmm! That's a thought. :) I may have to hit my friend Carol up for some more cookie recipes!
I asked the girls if they had memories of cooking with their moms. They recall making jiao zi. I shared my stories of making cookies with my mother and my grandmother. I always loved Grandma's house. Each holiday had its own cut out cookies that we got to cover with colored sugar and bake. My favorite was the yellow, pink and purple chicks and bunnies she would make for easter. Now the girls will have another recipe to share with their children.


The finished products! Piao liang! Hen Hao!

I think their favorite part was getting to frost the cookies and decorate them. They were getting very creative as the night went on. As the cookies were coming out of the oven, they were quickly claiming which one they wanted to decorate next. My favorite part was sharing my traditions and stories with them. Nothing is better than spending time with friends. I am so glad that He planned for me to be here for the holidays. It is becoming a very special time for me though I am so far from home. May you too be enjoying the plans He has for your life during the holiday season and throughout the year.

No comments: