Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Night Market in Beijing

The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. Psalm 22:26


Welcome to Wangfujing! This is the Night Market in Beijing! This is the place they showed people walking around eating unique foods. Let me walk you through and show you some!

Don't ask me what everything is because with some of these "foods", I truly have no idea! What I do know is that I wouldn't eat most of them, identifiable or not!
Two of the people we were with tried the small scorpions. They blew on them to show you they were still alive before they cooked them. I still can't figure out how the poison inside them doesn't effect you when you bite into them! Can anyone tell me how that works?


They say the silk worm coccoon is a very good source of protein. I'll stick to the purses made from silk instead.


Grasshoppers anyone? These aren't covered in chocolate. Just crunchy and on a stick!

Sea Urchins...yum? They say they cut it down the middle and then you eat out the inside. Amazingly, they couldn't convince me to try it!

Didn't like the other choices? Well, you might like this one. This is more in the meat family. It was sheep male anatomy! Yes, you read it correctly. I was floored when I heard him and then read the sign. When we had arrived, three of us thought we would each pick out a different food for us to try. After we saw this and smelled many of the funky smells on this street, we gave up that plan. Trust me, I don't have a weak stomach and I had to walk down the street initially with my nose covered. I wasn't sure if I could make it but eventually I got used to it.

Eventually the guy we were walking around with decided that he would try starfish. I was willing to try that. It tasted like over fried, crunchy fish with sand. I still liked it better than some of the other choices though!

Eventually I found something I really liked! My friend, Shelby, and I ate candied fruit on a stick! YUM! If you are craving this one, you can find a little bike vendor selling them on the street corners out where I live. They do this with all different kinds of fruit and vegetables. Most common are crab apples (they have a different name here) and white yams. This is definitely a place everyone should go to when they come to Beijing. So when are you coming out to visit me?

1 comment:

The Anderson Family said...

That looks like so much fun - that was one of the places I wanted to visit while I was there...and I actually wanted to eat a starfish because I saw Samantha Brown do it on the Travel channel - oh well, maybe next time. I can see and hear you now - thanks for sharing it. Tell Shelby "hell-o" I had such a great time with her.