Saturday, January 31, 2009

Joy in our Sorrow

Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.

Jeremiah 31:13

I have some news to share. Initially it made me sad but then I realized there was joy in the news. Let me share it with you. A week ago, I introduced you to some of our new babies here at PHF. One of them was Patti. At 3 months old, she had needed a colostomy. I don't know all the information but she needed this and the hope was she would eventually be able to have this reversed.

Patti

On Chinese New Year's Eve, she started having some difficulty. She wasn't eating. By Tuesday, her stomach was distended. Although she had the colostomy, it appeared she had a blockage. The doctors took her into the hospital in Beijing. She was to have surgery to take care of it. On Thursday, her suffering ended and she went to lay in the arms of our Sav*or. For those of us who know Him, we have joy in knowing this promise...that she is absent here but is present with Him. What a comfort that has given us. Not all our staff though knows that comfort. I ask you to keep the ayis (nannies) in pr*yer as they deal with their loss. May they come to know Him through this challenge. It is hard for the ayis in the Samaritan House. Their children are often medically fragile and this is not the first loss Shepherd's Field has dealt with. Continue to lift them up as they grieve her loss.

It is amazing that while we are dealing with our loss, G*d sends us a blessing. Pam Baker's assistant, Donna, left on her maternity leave before the holiday. On the same day our L*rd took Patti home, He sent us another baby girl. Donna and her husband were blessed with the birth of a baby girl. I have no pictures yet but as soon as I get them, I will share them with you. As I was writing this, I was listening to a song that fit all of this: Blessed Be Your Name. Part of the lyrics are "Every blessing you pour out, I turn back to praise When the darkness closes in, Lord Still I will say...Blessed be the name of the Lord Blessed be your name Blessed be the name of the Lord Blessed be your glorious name You give and take away You give and take away My heart will choose to say Lord, Blessed be your name."

If you too are going through any challenges in your life, may you take comfort in knowing He is in control. His name is blessed! I am so glad that He knows what I need and what I can handle, especially when I am NOT liking those challenges. He is molding you and I into the people He desires us to be. The person He is molding you into will need some challenges. The refiner's fire isn't easy but think of the beautiful gold that comes from it. Do you desire to be beautiful in His eyes? I do. As He removes those nasty things from me, I become beautiful. I become more like His son. My friend, take comfort in knowing He loves you enough to allow challenges, NOT PROBLEMS, into your life to make you more like J*sus. May that help you to find joy in your times of sorrow.

No comments: