Saturday, June 13, 2009

Children's Day



Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. Matthew 18:5

June 1st is Children's Day in Ch*na. It is as big as Mother's Day is in the states! People go all out to celebrate! Our children were going to celebrate too! Each one of them is a gift from above and they were going to know that! Needless to say...celebrating with 250 adults and 175 children is not a simple matter. It takes lots of planning and lots of people to put it together. Fortunately, we had Dawn Choate's team, the Benslay family, Sally Lockett of Portion for Orphans and Janelle and Jeff Cater here to help. We spent the day blowing up pools and pool toys, washing tables and chairs and made some potato salad from 50 potatoes. In the evening, we made 230 hamburgers, cut almost 400 rolls, and peeled/cut 100 potatoes for more potato salad.
Potato salad and jiao zi central started first thing in the morning. One thousand jiao zi were made! I was blessed to be able to use our new kitchen with the Shepherd's Field chef! I don't think he knows what to think of me yet but he will get used to me by next year!

Dawn and Shepherd's Field Cook

Throughout this year, I have spent plenty of time in the Baker's kitchen. Xiao Wang, one of the Baker's ayis (nannies) is used to me and my American food. She and I spent the time making some deviled eggs and the rest of the potato salad.
Xiao Wang and I


While we were cooking, the children sang for all our staff and guests. We had over 350 people on the grounds today celebrate children. Teacher Wangs students did an awesome job. The children were dressed in their best and looked adorable, from the youngest to the oldest.

Ginger

Emily, Margaret and Luke

Tristan

Cole



Grace

Tiffany (Mei Mei)

Christina

Teacher Zhang's students

Kathy, Anya, Joy, Fiona, Jerak Robbins and Elizabeth

Teacher Wang's students join the group

(L to R) Christina, Joy, Fiona, Jerak Robbins, Elizabeth

(L to R)Anya, Kathy, Timothy (L to R) Gregg, Jamison, Joseph, Seth

There are so many pictures I want to post but there isn't enough room! Check me out on Facebook.com. Friend me (Dawn Rittenhouse) to see more pictures. These children are truly a gift. They do embody His unconditional love. Come one day and meet them. Better yet, adopt one and take them home as your own child!

2 comments:

Vikki said...

All the kids are so lucky, and they look so nice. Is it Mei-Mei that have a heart problem? Is there something we/someone can do to help this little girl? Please tell us. She have stolen a big place in my hart and l feel so much for here. Best regards from Norway, Nicks parents.

Dawn said...

Vikki,
She is precious. She steals my heart every morning as I look out my window and there she is! Dr. Moody could answer your questions best. He can be reached at bill.moody@chinaorphans.org.
blessings,
Dawn