Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Boys and their bikes

This is the day the L*RD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

I wish I carried my camera around with me in my pocket. You would think by now I would remember to do that in the morning. Yesterday was a wonderful day. I wish you could have watched it. It started in the morning. Right next to building I am in is a cement driveway. It is perfect for riding bikes and trikes and anything with wheels! Now that it is paved, the nannies love to bring the children over to this side in the morning. They get the shade from the fence and the children can play. Unfortunately, all the bikes had been taken back to the houses so Zack and I made it our mission to get them all and bring them back for the children. As we pulled cars and bikes and trikes and motorcycles across the lawn, the boys immediately got up and came running to us. It was so cute to see. No matter what country you are in...boys love their bikes! Give them something that moves and they are happy! The more we brought over, the more children got up to play with them. It was such a joy to watch them playing with all the stuff. It was even more fun when I looked out in the afternoon and one of the nannies was on the tricycle peddling with the children! They too want to have fun!

The fun didn't stop when the little ones went to bed either. Later in the evening, I could hear Ling Ling outside my windows. Ling Ling is 16 years old and developmentally delayed. She has the most precious heart! Many have fallen in love with her. She adores Stacy, our oldest girl her at Shepherd's Field and many nights she can be found walking the grounds and chattering at Stacy. Last week, she was following Stacy on a bike...a two-wheel bike with training wheels made for a 4 year old! It was precious. I just found myself smiling (and laughing) as she rode by. I'm not sure whose smile was bigger, hers or mine! Last night, she decided to try the tricycle. Ling Ling has waist length hair and it kept getting in her way. I think in the 9 months I have been here, this is the first time I saw it down. It is almost always braided. She would peddle along and then stop and flip her hair out of her way. She kept doing this, flipping her hair from one side to the other. I think my favorite was the Little Tykes black truck. You know the traditional orange bottom car with the yellow roof that the kids get in and use their feet to move like a Flintstones car? Well, we have the same one but also trucks that have the part in back like a pickup truck would. Ling Ling couldn't climb in it so she got in the back and pushed it backwards. She was so much fun to watch. I tried taking pictures but she caught me and started telling Stacy what I was doing so they both stopped. (I should say I THINK she was telling Stacy that since I still don't understand lots in Chinese unless I know the context!) I just wanted to share the joys I had yesterday. For those of you who have met some of these children, I hope you can picture all of this in your own head. Maybe soon I will get some pictures of this and post them for you. Until then, use your imagination. Better yet, start planning a trip to come and visit us here! I like that idea best!

No comments: