Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Beloved, if G*d so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 1 John 4:11

Ain't love grand? Who says you have to have a boyfriend or husband to celebrate Valentine's Day? I was blessed to spend the evening with Tim and Pam Baker's children so they could go out to dinner together. Nothing makes me happier than cooking and baking. Ok, I'll take it back...nothing makes me happier than cooking or baking than to do it for people I love. This is exactly how I got to spend my Valentine's Day! Loving people isn't just about feeling that way. It is putting your feelings into action. People know they are loved by the things you do for them.

There are 5 different ways people know they are loved: through touch, words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service and gifts. I'm a big touch person. Nothing like a hug from a child to let me know I am loved. Another one for me is words of affirmation. Praise...I guess this is why I use this one alot with my students and children. I like to know when I am doing something that is appreciated. For other's, they need quality time to know they are loved. They want the undivided attention of the person they love. This doesn't have to be long period of times. They just want to feel like the most important thing in that person's life at that moment. This just involves not watching the game while they are talking or getting off the computer when they want to talk for a little while. Acts of service people like little things done.. This is taking out the garbage, running the vacuum for them, carrying the laundry upstairs or going outside and carrying in the groceries when they get home from the store. Gifts...I think this one is fairly self explanatory. Just bring home little things that made you think of them...their favorite drink or candy bar while you were at the gas station, a card for no reason, notes in their lunch box/car or inside the medicine cabinet so they see it when they go to brush their teeth.

Most of these things cost so little financially. What it costs is our own time and effort. Have you shown the person you love how much you love them lately? If not, why not do that. You might be surprised that when you take a little extra time and do things that matter to them, they might start doing more of the things you love too. Try it...what have you got to lose?

As for me, I am blessed by the Baker's. They continue to show me their love and appreciation often. I arrived at their house and the boys and Pam had made me valentine's from red hearts. They came with a bag of chocolate. This would have been enough but they topped it off with flowers.



I want you to know that the last time I received flowers on Valentine's Day was my senior year in college. I lived with 5 other girls and they all had boyfriends. I had no one so my parents sent me flowers. I love being loved!

Even though Valentine's Day is a day to say how much you love someone, don't wait another whole year to show the people you love how much they mean to you. Just do something little every now and then. If it is not noticed right away, eventually it will be. Most people can't ignore loving actions forever.

No comments: