Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's Official!!

"Thanks be unto God for his indescribable gift." 2 Corinthians 9:15

Today was the day we had to go to the Civil Affairs Office. It is there that I signed more papers. Yesterday’s papers gave me 24 hour custody of her. As of today, she is now known as Jade Mingcong Rittenhouse. What a gift she is! I am not deserving of such a gift but I am so glad He has given her to me.
I got mommy demerits while at the office today. The weather was supposed to be in the mid 70’s. It wasn’t. I dressed her in a dress and a sweater. No problem in the US. In China, children need to be kept warmer than adults and her legs were exposed. OH MY HENNA! What will happen to her? J I had to tell them that I would never abandon her, mistreat her or neglect her. It is a good thing I didn’t have to say I would dress her appropriately and in enough layers too!
One thing I have found out is that when they told me she would only go on the little potty they sent her with, they were telling the truth. She had to go to the bathroom a few times while we were out this morning but refused to go when I took her. Our guide even tried but no go! She is very strong willed and if it is not the way she knows it needs to be, it is NOT happening! Hmmm, two strong willed women living under the same roof…should be very interesting! Mom and I have decided that no matter where we go, the pot goes with us! Wonder what security will think when we fly to Guangzhou on Friday with it.
I want to tell you my favorite moment of the day. It happened at bedtime. Well, bedtime started at 7:15 but took until 9:15 until she actually fell asleep. When it is time for rest, this is the time that she cries the most for her foster family. It is very hard to hear your child crying and know there is nothing you can do to comfort her but pray and stay with her. It only lasted 20 minutes tonight compared to yesterday’s 45 minutes. I have been telling her in Chinese for the past two days that I am her mama. Every person she meets in Chinese has been telling her the same thing. When it is time to sleep, I lay down with her and rub her back as she settles down. I needed to get up and take care of something. She rolled over, looked for me and called out “Mama?”. She did this two different times. She is beginning to know me as her mama. What sweet words those were to my ears. As we snuggled together, she started imitating the words I was saying to her in Chinese. I was telling her she was my precious daughter, my baby girl and I love you. Her little voice echoed those words back to me. I know she doesn’t yet know what they really mean but one day she will. Thank you Lord for these gifts. It has touched my heart in ways I didn’t expect.

No comments: